Monday, July 7, 2008

Actual Expected and What???

Branding, Quality, Methodologies, Process improvements Rebranding Total Quality Management, learn unlearn and relearn, Learning Curve, Productivity enhancement etc…

We as managers use rather abuse each and every term from the above list without fail, but yeah we do it in the Global context; But do these actually hold true or are they some words out of the fantasy land, Well I learned in my short stay in Delhi that Harry potter may exist but these concepts are more academic than in reality…………..

My recent experience with a leading bank (which has just spend some millions of Rupees on rebranding) is really worth mentioning.

I landed up one fine day to close my account in the bank at 12:20 pm. I could see four people seated in a 2000 square feet of area each wearing spectacles with lenses (two inches (radius)), but all these people never use there glasses and have a habit of surpassing the big obstacle in front of their eyes by turning their face 135 degree from the vertical axis. Also I read a board, which mentioned, “ We are a bank with a goal of providing continuous customer satisfaction through Total Quality management and process improvisation”

Time: 12:20 pm

12:20 is actually close to the 1:00 break and already the decreased productivity level was evident. They delayed me enough through their super vertical hierarchy to make the clock race another 180 degree and since now it was 12:50, they close for lunch. I on the contrary had very high hopes expecting them to come by 1:30; somehow managed to wait for 40 minutes; but then afternoon siestas are never less than an hour long (A corporate lesson for me). On continuous nagging and repeatedly insisting that I am an MBA( haha) I could get the work done with 75% more efficiency; I would have left much before but each passing moment you calculate the time you invested and the return you get so it gets even more difficult to leave without the completion of your work ( Indian attitude chal na 2 ghante wait kiya adha aur sahi)

Time: 3:00 pm

I could manage to get them and pass through their super vertical hierarchy only in another two hours, finally I got 3000 Rs from the bank and you know what I really felt I have earned my money again

SO I guess that is what Earn, Unearn and Reearn means…..

No comments: